The Four Categories of Website Functionality
At MTS we categorize all the functions a website can perform for your business into four functional categories:
- Monetization ($)
- User Experience (UX) (Welcome)
- Eta => return on investment/efficiency
Assurance – any function that, individually or in coordination with other functions serves to mitigate risk, enhance security, deter criminal activity, increase corporate credibility, protect and preserve data and other IP assets, improve website operational quality, reliability and availability metrics, and reduce exposure and liability is an Assurance function.
In short, your website should be a valuable business asset for the entire organization, if used strategically, for example, as one element of risk mitigation. Policies, procedures, legal forms can be made available on the website for public and/or private review, announcements can be made, press releases posted, archives stored, etc. This can be a valuable way to re-iterate significant corporate policies and positions, in support of compliance efforts, and legal requirements. Your corporate website can also act as a data repository if need be and can be exceptionally secure if it is properly setup and operated.
Throughout our website, Assurance functions are identified with the certificate image.
Functions by category – Assurance
- Risk mitigation
- Patent, Trademark, Copyright
- Confidentiality and Security support functions
- Creation and preservation of auditable electronic records
- Site Optimization and Validation
- Support of Domain Ownership Claims,
- Disaster recovery
- Discourage theft and other criminal activity
- Reputation protection, credibility
- data security and privacy
- REPUTATION – your site should be a pro-active tool both to protect your reputation and to refute and surpass your competition.
- Proactive Social Media activity.
- Online Directory Strategy – combat the Aggregators, succeed with SEO